Le musée national lituanien

Le musée national lituanien

Le musée national lituanien est composé d'une série de musées, tous situés dans les zones où se trouvaient autrefois les châteaux de la ville. La seule structure survivante de ces châteaux, la tour Gediminas fait également partie du musée national.

Deux des principaux lieux d'exposition du Musée national lituanien sont les anciens et les nouveaux arsenaux de la ville, qui abritent ensemble une série d'expositions retraçant l'histoire du pays jusqu'à la Seconde Guerre mondiale.

Le vieil Arsenal se concentre principalement sur la Lituanie préhistorique à travers une vaste collection archéologique et présente également une exposition médiévale jusqu'au XIIIe siècle. Pendant ce temps, le Nouvel Arsenal reprend du XIIIe siècle avec la création de l'État de Lituanie et jusqu'au début du XXe siècle.


Musée national lituanien

Lietuvos nacionalinis muziejus , les Musée national lituanien , est un musée historique financé par l'État à Vilnius , en Lituanie , fondé en 1855 , qui comprend plusieurs bâtiments importants et dont les collections comprennent de nombreux objets et documents écrits. Le musée organise et coordonne les fouilles archéologiques en Lituanie.


Le Musée national lituanien - Histoire

Ouverture symbolique du Palais des Grands Ducs de Lituanie

La reconstruction du palais des grands-ducs de Lituanie est l'un des projets les plus importants du programme du millénaire de la Lituanie. Cette résidence historique reconstruite au cœur de la capitale lituanienne devrait redevenir le symbole traditionnel de l'état de longue date de la Lituanie et un objet de fierté nationale. Il devrait devenir un centre d'éducation civique, de sensibilisation historique et d'appréciation de la culture matérielle, de cérémonies d'État et d'information touristique. Ce sera également une partie importante du complexe muséal lituanien. La reconstruction du palais de Vilnius, autorisée par des actes du Parlement et du gouvernement lituaniens en 2001 et 2002, est considérée par le public comme importante pour la conscience nationale et la mémoire historique, pour la restitution des vérités historiques concernant l'indépendance de la Lituanie et Vilnius comme son capitale, pour la régénération du centre historique de la ville, pour illustrer les racines historiques et culturelles de la Lituanie dans le Grand-Duché de Lituanie - un État multinational de Lituaniens, de Polonais, de Biélorusses, d'Ukrainiens, de Juifs, de Tatars, de Karaims et d'autres nationalités - et pour montrer la l'importance des liens européens de la Lituanie, historiques et actuels.

La reconstruction et la rénovation du palais devaient être terminées et il devait être ouvert au public en 2009, à temps pour la célébration du millénaire. Mais en raison de problèmes financiers et organisationnels, la résidence historique a été en grande partie reconstruite mais pas entièrement meublée et ouverte au public. Pour cette raison, les expositions permanentes ne sont pas encore installées ni les espaces de services aux visiteurs achevés. En janvier 2009, le palais des grands-ducs de Lituanie a été désigné musée national mais, encore une fois, n'a pas pu commencer ses fonctions muséales – recherche, collecte, expositions, éducation – dans sa nouvelle maison. Les expositions commémoratives prévues pour l'ouverture du Palais et du Millénaire - Wawel à Vilnius : des Jagellonnes à la fin du Commonwealth polono-lituanien (avec le musée d'art lituanien et le château royal de Wawel), La Lituanie dans les sources historiques anciennes (avec le Département des archives lituaniennes et d'autres), et Art des Baltes (avec l'Académie des Arts de Vilnius) - ont été montrés à proximité, dans un autre bâtiment important du château inférieur de Vilnius, le vieil Arsenal, qui est maintenant le musée des arts appliqués.

La cérémonie d'ouverture symbolique a eu lieu comme prévu sur la place de la cathédrale et dans la grande cour du palais encore inachevé le 6 juillet 2009 – jour de l'anniversaire du couronnement du roi Mindaugas. Le drapeau historique de la Lituanie – un chevalier à cheval (Vytis) en blanc sur fond rouge – a été hissé au-dessus de l'aile sud du palais. Ce drapeau a été créé par l'artiste Arvydas Každailis en coopération avec le Dr Edmundas Rimša, président de la Commission héraldique lituanienne rattachée au bureau du président de Lituanie.

Le portail de cérémonie orné de l'aile sud a également été dévoilé. Les grands-ducs entraient dans le palais par cette porte après être entrés dans la ville par la porte de Rudininkai, puis en descendant les rues Didžioji et Pilies. Ce portail avec sa forme et sa décoration baroques précoces est l'un des accents architecturaux majeurs du palais. Il a été recréé par les architectes du Design and Restoration Institute (Projektavimo ir restauravimo institutas), l'un des entrepreneurs du palais, et construit par la firme Kaunas Akmi. L'architecte et restauratrice Rūta Grigienė a le plus contribué à la recréation de ce portail.

L'original du début du 17e s. Le portail, identique à la reproduction, a été construit en calcaire gris par des architectes, des sculpteurs et des tailleurs de pierre d'Italie - les frères Costate et Jacopo Tencalla. Avant de venir à Vilnius, ils avaient travaillé à Rome avec l'architecte italien Carlo Maderno (1556-1629), l'un des pères de l'architecture baroque. Les mêmes maîtres artisans, qui ont travaillé sur le palais, ont également aidé à construire la très impressionnante chapelle Saint-Casimir à côté de la cathédrale de Vilnius et du palais, et ont travaillé sur la façade de l'église Sainte-Thérèse de Vilnius.

Sculpté en lettres dorées sur la frise du portail recréé est la dédicace de cette résidence historique en tant que monument au millénaire de la Lituanie - Millennio Lituaniee MIX–MMIX.

Les mots latins sont gravés sur une plaque commémorative en marbre rougeâtre et montés sur le fronton du portail recréé : Respublica est societas hominum uno Deo, iure, rege ad commune et privatum bonum iunctorum (un État n'est rien d'autre qu'une société humaine, dont les membres sont liés par un seul Dieu, une seule loi et un seul dirigeant et dans laquelle chacun veille au bien commun et à son propre bien-être). Ces mots très civiques et historiquement importants ont été écrits au XVIe siècle. par le célèbre humaniste catholique lituanien, juriste, historien et publiciste Augustinus Rotundus (1520-1582). Il a étudié aux universités de Wittenberg, Ferrare et Padoue, où il a obtenu un doctorat en droit civil et canon (vers 1548). Après avoir travaillé pendant plusieurs années à la chancellerie royale de Cracovie, il est transféré à Vilnius (1551) où il est nommé premier magistrat de Vilnius et secrétaire personnel du roi et grand-duc Sigismond Auguste. Il a traduit le deuxième statut lituanien (Code des lois, 1566) en latin et a été l'un des rédacteurs du troisième statut lituanien (1588). Il a effectué la plupart de ses travaux au Palais des Grands-Ducs. La phrase latine sur le portail est de son pamphlet polémique Conversations entre un Polonais et un Lituanien, dans lequel il défendait le droit de la Lituanie à un État indépendant, tentait de prouver la théorie romaine de l'origine des Lituaniens et promouvait des sentiments patriotiques parmi les citoyens du Grand-Duché de Lituanie. Il a été choisi par le professeur Eugenija Ulčinaitė du département de philosophie de l'Université de Vilnius.

De nombreux hauts fonctionnaires et dignitaires ont assisté à l'ouverture symbolique. Après avoir écouté les discours de bienvenue sur la place de la cathédrale et regardé le lever du drapeau historique et le dévoilement du portail de cérémonie, ils ont traversé ce portail dans la grande cour et se sont tenus sur un tapis rouge pour écouter les chansons chantées par le Kaunas State Choir sous la direction du professeur Petras Bingelis et d'en savoir plus sur la reconstruction et l'histoire du palais grâce aux guides du palais.

Les dignitaires lituaniens comprenaient : le Président de la République de Lituanie Valdas Adamkus et son épouse Alma, Président du Seimas de la République de Lituanie Arūnas Valinskas et son épouse Inga, Premier ministre de la République de Lituanie Andrius Kubilius et son épouse Rasa, ancienne Président de la République de Lituanie et actuel président de la Commission de coordination de la restauration du palais des grands-ducs de Lituanie Algirdas Brazauskas et son épouse Kristina, président du Conseil suprême de la République de Lituanie (Parlement) Vytautas Landsbergis et son épouse Gražina ainsi que d'autres fonctionnaires du gouvernement.

Parmi les dignitaires en visite figuraient : le roi de Suède Carl XVI Gustaf et la reine Silvia, la reine de Danemark Margrethe II, le roi de Norvège Harald V, le président de la République de Pologne Lech Kaczyński et son épouse Maria, la présidente de la République de Lettonie Valdis Zatlers et son épouse Lilita, le président de la République d'Ukraine Viktor Iouchtchenko, le président de la République d'Islande Olafur Ragnar Grimsson et son épouse Gudrun Katrin THorbergsdottir, le président de la République de Finlande Tarja Halonen et son mari Pentti Arajärvi , le Président de la République de Géorgie Mikheil Saakashvili et son épouse Sandra Elisabeth Roelofs, Envoyée spéciale du Siège apostolique et du Pape Benoît XVI, ancien Secrétaire d'État du Vatican et actuel Doyen du Collège des cardinaux Angelo Sodano, Premier ministre de la République d'Estonie Andrus Ansip et son épouse Anu, le ministre de la Culture de la République de Biélorussie Pavel Latushko, le ministre de la Défense de la Fed allemande République générale Franz Josef Jung, le ministre de la Culture de la Fédération de Russie Alexander Avdejev, et d'autres hauts fonctionnaires qui ont été invités à la célébration du millénaire de la Lituanie.

L'histoire du palais et de sa reconstruction n'a pas seulement été racontée par les guides mais aussi avec beaucoup d'enthousiasme par le grand partisan et passionné du palais, l'ancien président Algirdas Brazauskas. Les membres de la famille royale suédoise ont passé le plus de temps dans la cour – se souvenant des héritiers de la dynastie Vasa qui y avaient vécu. Il est probablement très rare dans l'histoire de l'architecture mondiale qu'une quinzaine de monarques et chefs d'État assistent aux cérémonies d'ouverture d'un édifice. Cette cérémonie marqua le début d'une nouvelle étape de développement du palais.

Le 7 juillet 2009, le palais a ouvert ses portes à ses premiers visiteurs - en raison des travaux de construction en cours, uniquement aux groupes organisés. Au cours du mois où les ouvriers du bâtiment étaient en vacances, plus de 20 000 visiteurs de Lituanie et de l'étranger ainsi que des représentants du gouvernement ont pu avoir un aperçu de certaines parties du bâtiment reconstruit, voir les murs d'origine et en savoir plus sur les résultats des enquêtes archéologiques. et des plans pour de futures expositions didactiques et programmes éducatifs. Un démarrage aussi réussi pour le nouveau Musée national – Palais des Grands-Ducs de Lituanie est très encourageant. Les anciennes opinions négatives et très politisées d'une partie du public et des médias ont commencé à changer lorsqu'ils ont pu voir de leurs propres yeux ce qui se faisait réellement et ce qui est prévu pour l'avenir. Les visiteurs étaient intéressés et intrigués. Cela nous donne l'espoir que ce nouveau musée et résidence historique deviendra l'un des centres les plus importants pour la culture, l'histoire, l'éducation, l'information touristique et les événements cérémoniels de la ville et du pays. Dans un avenir proche, avec un financement adéquat, le Musée sera en mesure de planifier et d'ouvrir des expositions attrayantes et informatives, correctement ouvertes au public, et de commencer son importante mission publique.

Un aperçu de l'évolution historique du Palais des Grands-Ducs de Lituanie

Les résultats des recherches des 20 dernières années montrent que dans la zone où se trouvait autrefois le palais, entre la cathédrale et le château supérieur, il y avait déjà des gens vivant dans des bâtiments en bois aux VIe-VIIIe siècles. Au fil du temps, la colonie est devenue un château. À partir de la seconde moitié du XIIIe siècle, la construction en briques a commencé dans ce domaine. Certains chercheurs soutiennent que cela a été fait pendant le règne du roi Mindaugas (1236/1253-1263). En particulier, de nombreux bâtiments en briques ont été construits sous les règnes des grands-ducs Vytenis (vers 1295-1316) et Gediminas (1316-1341) lorsque la dynastie de la famille Gediminid arrivait au pouvoir. Dès le début du XIVe siècle, à la place du futur palais, existait déjà un château en briques avec des murs et des tours fortifiés en briques ainsi que d'autres bâtiments le long des murs et dans la cour centrale. Ce petit château bas fortifié était situé à l'intérieur du grand complexe du château bas, qui fut également fortifié plus tard par des murs de briques et des tours. Au fil du temps, les murs de fortification et les tours du petit château inférieur ont été démolis et remplacés par de nouvelles ailes du palais grand-ducal.

En raison de la rareté et de la nature fragmentée des sources écrites, et du manque de preuves archéologiques et architecturales, il est difficile de dire quelles initiatives de construction ont été entreprises sous les règles des grands-ducs d'Algirdas (1345-1377) et de son fils Jogaila, grand-duc de Lituanie à partir de 1377, qui devint Ladislas II Jagellon, roi de Pologne, à partir de 1386, régnant jusqu'en 1434. Mais nous pouvons probablement déduire du fait que Jogaila s'intéressait activement aux activités de construction à Cracovie qu'il s'intéressait également à la construction et au développement de ses châteaux à Vilnius et ailleurs. La modernisation de leurs résidences dans les châteaux supérieur et inférieur de Vilnius a sans aucun doute eu lieu. Un mur de briques avec des tours a été construit autour du château inférieur. Il est très probable qu'à l'intérieur du château inférieur se trouvait également une résidence pour les souverains.

Un document de 1413 mentionne que le grand-duc Vytautas (règne 1392-1430) vivait « in castro superiori Wilnensi in caminata lignea » – dans le château inférieur de Vilnius dans une salle en bois avec un foyer. Après l'incendie de 1419, il reconstruisit les châteaux de Vilnius et reconstruisit et agrandit la cathédrale, où en 1430 il prévoyait d'être couronné roi de Lituanie. Jusqu'à la fin du XVe et au début du XVIe siècle, la résidence des grands-ducs dans le château inférieur devait rivaliser avec des résidences similaires dans le château supérieur et dans le château de l'île de Trakai. Afin de maintenir l'intégrité de l'État, les dirigeants ont voyagé dans tout le pays, ne restant jamais longtemps au même endroit.

À l'heure actuelle, il n'y a pas assez d'informations pour déterminer avec précision où le grand-duc de Lituanie et le roi polonais Casimir Jagiellon (1440-1492 Grand-duc de Lituanie 1447-1492 roi de Pologne) et son épouse, Elisabeth d'Autriche (Habsbourg), ont résidé pendant leurs fréquentes visites à Vilnius. Ils aimaient aussi rester dans le château insulaire de Trakai. Ils s'occupèrent de la construction des châteaux de Vilnius et financèrent la construction d'une chapelle royale à la cathédrale de Vilnius (1474).

Lorsqu'Alexandre Jagiellon, fils de Casimir, devint grand-duc de Lituanie en 1492 (également roi de Pologne 1501-1506), la vie dans les châteaux de Vilnius changea radicalement, même s'il y a peu d'informations à ce sujet dans les sources écrites. Le fait qu'Alexandre résidait en Lituanie, les besoins administratifs croissants de son vaste domaine et de sa nation, et son mariage avec Helen, la fille du grand-duc de Moscou Ivan III (règne 1462–1505) - tous ont nécessité l'agrandissement de sa résidence pour répondre non seulement aux besoins domestiques, mais aussi aux besoins cérémoniels croissants. C'est pourquoi on pense qu'à la fin du XVe siècle, Alexandre a commencé à reconstruire l'ancien château fort médiéval (dans le château inférieur) en un palais gothique tardif qui répondrait à ses nouveaux besoins et exigences. La résidence principale des souverains a probablement été transférée du château supérieur au château inférieur, facilitant ainsi la vie et la gouvernance.

Comme le montrent les vestiges des pierres de fondation des ailes sud et est du palais actuel, la résidence d'Alexandre était probablement constituée de deux ailes en forme de « L ». Ils avaient deux ou trois étages. Dans la cour, près de l'aile orientale, il y avait probablement des galeries couvertes de bois soutenues par de très fortes colonnes de briques. À l'ouest et au nord, cette résidence en forme de « L » était entourée par les murs fortifiés de l'ancien château médiéval. Les découvertes archéologiques révèlent qu'à l'intérieur de cette résidence, il y avait des poêles décoratifs en céramique émaillée et des sols en céramique émaillée multicolore. Les salles étaient voûtées de nervures en briques moulées. Des briques moulées ont également été utilisées pour former les archivoltes et les jambages d'entrée. Les murs, les voûtes, les nervures et les montants d'entrée étaient plâtrés et recouverts de fresques décoratives polychromes.

Au début du règne du grand-duc de Lituanie et roi de Pologne Sigismond le Vieux (1506-1548), frère d'Alexandre, plusieurs grands incendies ont balayé Vilnius et le palais. Selon le témoignage de l'un des courriers de Bona Sforza, duchesse italienne et épouse de Sigismond l'Ancien, une vaste reconstruction des châteaux de Vilnius a eu lieu entre les incendies de 1520 et 1530, y compris les salles de cérémonie dans les ailes sud et est de la palais. Cette reconstruction a coûté 100 000 ducats. La partie reconstruite n'a pas été endommagée par l'incendie ultérieur. Peut-être que cette reconstruction élaborée et coûteuse était liée aux cérémonies qui s'y déroulèrent en 1529, lorsque Sigismond Auguste, le fils unique de Sigismond le Vieux et de Bona Sforza, fut proclamé grand-duc de Lituanie.

Le palais a continué à être agrandi et rénové. Sigismond le Vieux et Bona Sforza ont ajouté une tour de trois étages avec des quartiers d'habitation à l'extrémité nord de l'aile est. Tout cela a été fait dans le style Renaissance, mais l'architecte principal est inconnu. On sait que l'architecte et sculpteur Bernardino Zanobi de Gianotis de Rome ou de Florence a travaillé sur le palais. L'architecte florentin de la Renaissance, Bartolomeo Berrecci, qui était l'un des architectes en chef du château royal de la Renaissance de Wawel, s'est rendu à Vilnius afin d'obtenir l'approbation de Sigismond l'Ancien des plans de la chapelle de Sigismond dans la cathédrale de Wawel. Le tailleur de pierre Benoît de Sandomierz (ou Benedykt Sandomierzanin), qui avait travaillé pour Sigismond le Vieux à Cracovie, travaillait également pour lui à Vilnius. Berrecci et Sandomierzanin auraient pu contribuer à la reconstruction du palais de Vilnius. Les travaux de construction ont été supervisés par l'ingénieur allemand et gardien du château inférieur, Ulrich Hosius (Ulricus Hosius).

La pierre a été utilisée pour la première fois pour encadrer les fenêtres – un conglomérat à texture grossière de Bystrica (40 km à l'est de Vilnius). Les surfaces rugueuses ont été recouvertes d'une couche de plâtre avant d'être peintes de différentes couleurs. Les intérieurs de la salle Renaissance étaient meublés de poêles en faïence de fantaisie faits de carreaux émaillés de diverses couleurs avec des ornements floraux, des créatures mythologiques et allégoriques, des scènes didactiques ainsi que les armoiries des souverains lituanien et polonais de la dynastie Gediminid-Jagellonian, la famille Sforza , et la noblesse lituanienne. Les sols étaient également recouverts de carreaux de céramique émaillés colorés similaires.

En 1539, il est fait mention d'un jardin près du palais. Bona Sforza a donné l'ordre de construire un escalier des appartements de ses dames d'honneur au jardin. On peut conjecturer à partir de la disposition de l'extrémité ouest de l'aile sud, de l'escalier en colimaçon dans le mur de la pièce du fond et de la tourelle avec des toilettes que les appartements privés des souverains à l'époque d'Alexandre Jagiellon et de Sigismond l'Ancien étaient au deuxième étage à l'extrémité ouest de l'aile sud. Les salles de cérémonie auraient pu se trouver au troisième étage, s'il avait été construit à ce moment-là, ou au deuxième étage, là où les ailes sud et est se rejoignent. Ici, à côté de la cage d'escalier, se trouve la plus grande salle du deuxième étage, qui, jusqu'au XVIIe siècle, était le lieu de grandes fêtes et spectacles. Dans les documents écrits, il est appelé le hall de «l'étage inférieur». C'est probablement à cette époque que les voûtes ouvertes, Renaissance italienne palais-des galeries de type ont été construites dans la cour le long du mur de l'aile sud.

Une nouvelle phase d'expansion du palais de la Renaissance est associée au règne de Sigismond Auguste (1529-1572 le grand-duc de Lituanie 1548-1572 le roi de Pologne). En 1544, il fut nommé vice-gérant (souverain en fait) de la Lituanie par son père Sigismond l'Ancien et la même année vint à Vilnius avec sa femme, Elisabeth d'Autriche (Habsbourg). Des travaux de construction massifs ont commencé immédiatement au palais et aux bâtiments auxiliaires, la période de construction la plus intensive étant de 1547 à 1548. La construction s'est poursuivie jusqu'à environ 1553. L'objectif de Sigismond Auguste était de construire une nouvelle résidence (Domus nova) à côté de l'ancienne résidence de ses parents (Aula regia antique). Ainsi, les nouvelles ailes nord et ouest ont vu le jour et se sont jointes aux anciennes ailes sud et est pour former un palais avec une cour fermée. Le Palais des Grands-Ducs allait devenir la résidence d'apparat des dynasties Gediminid et Jagiellonian - l'endroit d'où elles sont issues. Sigismond Auguste a également construit une résidence d'été à Viršupis (au nord-est de Vilnius) et avait l'intention de reconstruire le château insulaire de Trakai.

L'architecte en chef des travaux de construction de Sigismond Augustus était l'architecte, sculpteur et tailleur de pierre italien Giovanni Cini de Sienne. En 1534, il signe un contrat pour rénover la cathédrale de Vilnius et en 1545 vient s'installer à Vilnius. Il est aidé par son frère Bartolomeo, tailleur de pierre. D'autres y ont travaillé pendant plusieurs années : l'architecte flamand Frederik Unstherffe, le tailleur de pierre polonais Benedict de Sandomierz et l'architecte et ingénieur militaire Job Breitfuss, qui est devenu le gardien du château et le surveillant en chef de tous les travaux de construction de Sigismond Augustus. Le charpentier en chef était Marcin de Pologne. L'intérieur des chambres a été décoré par le sculpteur Donatus, probablement hongrois. Les frises des chambres et autres œuvres d'art ont été peintes par le maître allemand Gerhard Sweiger, qui vivait à Vilnius. D'autres peintres étaient Anton Wiede, un Allemand de Gdansk, et peut-être l'Italien Giovanni da Monte. Le superviseur des décorations intérieures était un Hongrois, Michael de Kezmarok (aujourd'hui Slovaquie). A cette époque, à Vilnius, il y avait de nombreux artisans locaux lituaniens et polonais (fabricants de meubles, charpentiers, menuisiers, métallurgistes et autres) ainsi que des orfèvres, armuriers, armuriers, jardiniers, experts en systèmes d'eau et autres artisans et spécialistes d'Italie, de Hongrie, de Bohême , et l'Allemagne.

Des matériaux coûteux ont été utilisés pour les murs du palais. Le grès pour les sols des chambres a été importé de Livonie et de Suède, la ferronnerie de Pologne et d'Autriche et le verre de France. La pierre de Bystrica a continué à être utilisée. De nombreux fragments architecturaux constitués de cette pierre ont été retrouvés lors des fouilles archéologiques dans le palais et dans le quartier des Saints. L'église Anne et Barbara, que Sigismond Auguste a construite comme mausolée familial.

Le palais Renaissance construit par Sigismond Auguste à Vilnius est devenu non seulement un centre politique, administratif et diplomatique, mais aussi un centre culturel et artistique, et son influence s'est étendue bien au-delà de la capitale lituanienne. Le palais contenait de riches collections de tapisseries, de peintures et d'autres œuvres d'art, d'armes, d'armures, de trophées de chasse et une immense bibliothèque ainsi qu'une collection de trésors et de bijoux qui ont impressionné le légat papal, l'évêque Bernardino Buongiovanni, qui a ensuite diffusé la nouvelle. des trésors qu'il a vu en 1560 dans toute l'Europe. Ce palais fut le témoin de l'histoire d'amour romantique de Sigismond Augustus et de Barbara Radziwiłł. Le Conseil des Lords et le Parlement du Grand-Duché de Lituanie se sont réunis ici. Les Statuts de la Lituanie (le code des lois du Grand-Duché de Lituanie) ont été compilés et édités ici. La Metrica lituanienne (archives de la chancellerie du Grand-Duché de Lituanie) y était conservée, ainsi que les trésors des souverains lituaniens et du Grand-Duché.

Après l'Union de Lublin en 1569, qui créa un État commun, le Commonwealth polono-lituanien, le Palais des Grands-Ducs, avec les résidences de Cracovie et de Varsovie, devint l'une des résidences principales des dirigeants conjointement élus de cette nouvelle État. Le roi de Pologne et le grand-duc lituanien Stephen Batory (règne de 1576 à 1586) passa la plupart de son temps au combat et à la reconstruction du château de Hrodna (aujourd'hui en Biélorussie) dans le style de la Renaissance tardive. Néanmoins, il reçut le légat du pape le cardinal Ippolito Aldobrandini, futur pape Clément VIII (1592–1605) dont la bulle de 1602 proclama la canonisation de saint Casimir, dans le luxueux palais de Vilnius. Batory y convoqua également les convocations lituaniennes. À la fin du XVIe et au début du XVIIe siècle, il est mentionné que le tailleur de pierre italien Pietro Peregrino travaillait dans les châteaux de Vilnius.

Le palais a continué à prospérer pendant le règne de la dynastie suédoise Vasa avec de nouvelles initiatives de construction entreprises par Sigismond Vasa (règne 1587-1632) et Ladislas (règne 1632-1648). Le mariage de Catherine Jagiellon, la sœur de Sigismond Auguste, avec le duc de Finlande et plus tard le roi Jean III (1568-1592) de Suède a eu lieu dans le palais en 1562 et a ouvert la voie à l'accession au trône de la dynastie Vasa. du Commonwealth polono-lituanien.

Après l'incendie de 1610, le palais a été reconstruit dans le style maniériste du Nord, comme en témoignent les découvertes archéologiques. Les réparations ont été supervisées par le gardien du château de Vilnius Peter Nonhart et l'architecte et menuisier William Pohl. Leon Sapieha (1557-1633), grand chancelier de Lituanie, a soutenu le projet de reconstruction, qui a été financé par le Trésor lituanien. Une nouvelle source historique très importante pour comprendre la nature et l'étendue des réparations et de la reconstruction du palais au cours de cette période est le reçu du Trésor du 31 juillet 1631 délivré par le Grand Trésorier de Lituanie, Stephen Pac, à Peter Nonhart pour les travaux effectués dans le Lower Castle du 20 mars 1624 au 31 décembre 1630. Il s'agit de l'état des dépenses le plus complet et le plus détaillé trouvé à ce jour.

La deuxième phase du projet de reconstruction a commencé en 1624 et comprenait la construction de la chapelle Saint-Casimir à côté de la cathédrale (1624-1636). Le baroque italien primitif était le nouveau style dominant et il a été introduit à Vilnius par les frères italiens Costante et Jacopo Tencalla – architectes, sculpteurs et tailleurs de pierre. Auparavant, ils avaient travaillé à Rome avec l'architecte italien Carlo Maderno (1556-1629), l'un des pères de l'architecture baroque. Divers matériaux – grès, calcaire, marbre – pour les décorations extérieures et intérieures (cadres de fenêtres, portails, foyers et sols) ont été importés de Suède, de Belgique, des Pays-Bas et d'Italie. Des peintures à l'huile décoratives sur toile (plafonds) de l'artiste flamand Christian Melich étaient accrochées aux plafonds. Leurs cadres ont été sculptés et dorés par Gabriel Lorentz. Des poêles en faïence plus colorés ainsi que de nouvelles peintures sont apparus dans les chambres. Le palais est devenu une luxueuse résidence baroque pour les dirigeants de la dynastie Vasa, où d'importantes décisions politiques concernant les relations internationales en Europe centrale, orientale et septentrionale ont été prises, où d'importantes délégations de nombreux pays européens et du Moyen-Orient ont été reçues.

En 1636, le premier opéra en Lituanie a été mis en scène dans le palais - Il Ratto di Helena (L'enlèvement d'Hélène). Le livret a été écrit et publié à Vilnius par Virgillio Puccitelli, secrétaire de Ladislas Vasa, et la musique a probablement été composée par le célèbre compositeur et chef d'orchestre italien Marco Scacchi, qui travaillait à Vilnius à l'époque. Le palais est devenu un centre de diffusion de la culture et de l'art baroques parmi les nobles de Lituanie et les dignitaires de l'église. Les preuves historiques et la localisation des découvertes archéologiques révèlent que le sol avec les antichambres et la salle d'audience principale du palais (le piano noble) à l'époque des Vasas était le troisième étage de l'aile sud. Les hommes de la famille royale avaient des appartements dans l'aile ouest et les femmes dans l'aile est. La chapelle Saint-Casimir à côté de la cathédrale n'était pas seulement un lieu de conservation et d'adoration des saintes reliques, mais aussi la chapelle royale. La galerie du deuxième étage de la chapelle était reliée au palais par un petit pont. Comme le montrent les preuves archéologiques, la cuisine du palais se trouvait dans l'aile nord.

En 1655, Vilnius fut attaquée par l'armée moscovite et cosaque et occupée pendant six ans. Au cours de ces années, le palais a été pillé, ravagé et incendié. Il n'a jamais été reconstruit et n'a plus jamais servi de résidence aux souverains de Pologne et de Lituanie, même si la noblesse lituanienne a souvent demandé que le palais soit reconstruit afin que leur souverain commun puisse y passer au moins un tiers de son temps. Même en ruine, le palais n'a perdu ni sa signification symbolique ni pratique pour le fonctionnement de l'ancien État lituanien.

Au XVIIIe siècle, ce qui restait du palais était habité par des citadins et des petits nobles. À la fin du siècle, il était prévu d'y établir des commissions d'État. Mais les partitions du Commonwealth ont mis fin à tout espoir que la résidence historique des dirigeants lituaniens retrouverait un jour son ancienne gloire.

À la fin du XVIIIe et au début du XIXe siècle, à la demande de l'administration tsariste russe, les ruines du palais ont été démolies en tant que symbole visible d'un État déchu, résidence de ses dirigeants et centre de gouvernement. Comprenant le sens de cette symbolique très forte – la destruction du Grand-Duché de Lituanie et du Commonwealth polono-lituanien – au cœur de la capitale de la Lituanie, des artistes romantiques (de Pietro Rossi à Karol Raczyński, Józef Jerzy Oziembłowski, Marceli Januszewicz ainsi que des artistes inconnus jusqu'à Juozapas Kamarauskas) tout au long du XIXe et du XXe siècle ont représenté la cathédrale de Vilnius du sud avec le palais inexistant des grands-ducs comme un rappel des dynasties Gediminid et Jagiellonian. Des écrivains et historiens romantiques tels que Teodor Narbutt, Józef Ignacy Kraszewski, Michał Baliński, Michał Homolicki, le prélat Jan Kurczewski et d'autres auteurs se sont également souvenus du palais dans leurs œuvres.

Recherche, reconstruction et fonctions

Des fouilles archéologiques sporadiques ont eu lieu sur le territoire du château de Vilnius depuis le début du XXe siècle, mais l'intérêt pour le palais des grands-ducs ne s'est intensifié qu'à la fin du siècle. Déjà en 1983, il y avait une idée de reconstruire le palais dans le style Renaissance et de l'utiliser comme galerie d'art nationale. Des plans plus concrets et cohérents pour la recherche et l'investigation du territoire et pour la reconstruction du palais ont été élaborés lorsque la Lituanie a commencé à se séparer de l'empire soviétique en 1987.

The first investigations were carried out by the Design and Restoration Institute (Projektavimo ir restauravimo institutas), later by the Lithuanian History Institute, and since 1993 by the specially established Castle Research Center Lietuvos pilys. For many years, this complex research program – combining archaeology, architecture, history and art history – was led by the archaeologists Dr. Vytautas Urbanavičius and Dr. Albinas Kuncevičius, the architect Dr. Napaleonas Kitkauskas, and the art historian Stasys Samalavičius, later by the archaeologist and geologist Eduardas Kauklys. Archaeological investigations were carried out by Gintautas Striška, Gediminas Gendrėnas, Dr. Gintautas Rackevičius, Egidijus Ožalas, Povilas Blaževičius, Ėrika Striškienė, Dr. Daiva Steponavičienė and others.

While the research work was going on, various ideas for the reconstruction of the palace and its functions were being floated. There was even an idea to house the Presidential Palace there. In 1999, at the request of the Minister of Culture, the director of the Lithuanian Art Museum, Romualdas Budrys, formulated the first guidelines and a vision statement regarding the use of the reconstructed palace as a multi-functional cultural, ceremonial, museum, and educational institution. In 2000, the Parliament of the Republic of Lithuania passed a law authorizing reconstruction of the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, and the following year the Government of Lithuania formally adopted a resolution confirming the conceptual plan for the reconstruction and use of the palace.

The architectural group of the Design and Restoration Institute, led by the architects Rimas Grigas (until 2008) and Ričardas Bitovtas (since 2008), won the bid to reconstruct the palace. The architect Audronis Katilius was appointed project coordinator and the longtime researcher of the Vilnius castles, Dr. Napaleonas Kitkauskas, head of research. Architect Vida Povilauskaitė coordinated the design of the interiors, while architect Rūta Klimavičienė and design specialist Jonas Gerulaitis worked on the exhibition spaces. The main design concepts of this group were the following. First of all, they wanted to conserve and display as much as possible of the authentic ruins of the palace and clearly delineate them from the reconstructions. They also wanted to reconstruct as historically accurate as possible the interiors of the historical residence, which would represent the major architectural styles prevalent during the life of the palace – namely, Gothic, Renaissance, and early Baroque. These interiors had to be adapted for the proper display of rare and valuable antique furnishings, for visitor traffic, and for ceremonial events.

The PST Construction Company (Panevėžio statybos trestas) with its designers and researchers was chosen to do the construction work. They formed a special subsidiary, Vilniaus papėdė, under the directorship of Aloyzas Bertašius, to do that work. The Vilnius Castles Directorate (Vilniaus pilių direkcija), under the direction of Saulius Petras Andrašūnas, was set up to act as contracting agent.

In 2002, the Ministry of Culture charged the Lithuanian Art Museum to draw up a plan for the reconstruction of the palace interiors, their adaptation to museum and education functions, and to put it in place by 2005. The outline of the plan – drawn up Romualdas Budrys, Vytautas Balčiūnas, Dr. Vydas Dolinskas and Aleksandras Kulikauskas – was presented to the Ministry in 2003. A separate division, later re-organized into a branch of the art museum, was established in 2004 to put the plan into practice. The first staff included Remigijus Černius, Daiva Mitrulevičiūtė, Dalius Avižinis, and others.

All of the work associated with the palace’s reconstruction was at first coordinated by the Ministry of Culture. Later, a special commision – the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania Restoration Coordinating Commission – was formed and since 2006 led by the former President of Lithuania Algirdas Brazauskas. Already in 2005, the Commission enlisted the aid of several dozen of the best experts from Lithuania and abroad – art historians, architects, conservators, historians, and museum professionals. All of the institutions mentioned above work closely together and coordinate their activities. Lithuanian and foreign consultants have often been invited. Five research trips to other European historical residences, which could provide analogous or comparative type of information, were organized.

We received the most expert advice from Lithuanian historians, art historians, museum professionals, and conservators – such as, Dr. Edmundas Rimša, Prof. Eugenija Ulčinaitė, Dr. Rūta Janonienė, Prof. Mečislovas Jučas, Dr. Ieva Kuizinienė, Prof. Aleksandra Aleksandravičiūtė, Dr. Jūratė Trilupaitienė, Dr. Jūratė Senvaitienė, Dalia Valujevičienė, Rimvydas Derkintis, the artist Arvydas Každailis and many others. We also received help from cultural experts living abroad – such as the Lithuanian-Americans Prof. Paulius Kęstutis Žygas, Dr. Ramūnas Kondratas, and Beatričė Kleizaitė-Vasaris from our colleagues in Italy, such as the Director of the Castello Estense in Ferrara, Dr. Marco Borella our colleagues in Germany, such as the Director of the Dresden Residential Castle, Prof. Dirk Syndram from our many colleagues in Poland, such as the Director of the Wawel Royal Castle in Krakow, Prof. Jan Ostrowski, the Director of the Warsaw Royal Castle, Prof. Andrzej Rottermund, Prof. Jerzy Lileyko († 2009), art historians Jerzy T. Petrus, Krzysztof Czyżewski, Stanisława Link-Lenczowska, Dr. Kazimierz Kuczman, Piotr Jacek Jamski, and Dr. Meinolf Siemer, the architect and conservator Piotr Stępień and many others.

Since 2002, there has been an intense search for historical sources in Lithuania and abroad that would help document the palace and life in the Vilnius Lower Castle complex. Archaeological work and architectural research continues. Every year more and more new information and artifacts are found, which allow us to reconstruct and decorate the palace more accurately. As a result of our investigations and findings, we will be able not only to correct but in essence rewrite much of early Lithuanian history – that of the Gothic, Renaissance and early Baroque periods, especially when brick architecture was first introduced. We will be able to take a new look at court life and cultural development in Lithuania during these times.

A great deal of help has come from the Palace Restoration Foundation, which was established in 2000 and is now led by Algirdas Vapšys, Edmundas Kulikauskas, and Indrė Jovaišaitė. The Foundation not only raises money for the reconstruction of the palace in Lithuania and in the diaspora, but as opportunities arise, promotes the idea of the need for reconstructing the palace, organizes various kinds of public manifestations, and supports the palace’s publication program, the restoration of important artifacts, exhibitions, and educational activities. In 2005, the Foundation started raising money for the acquisition of important historical artifacts and furnishings for the interiors of the palace.

Reconstruction of the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania officially began on May 10, 2002, and it was decided then that this reconstruction project could become one of the most important accents of Lithuania’s Millennium Programme – a memorial to the Millennium. In deliberating about the mission, purpose, and functions of the reconstructed palace, the conclusion was reached that the reconstructed historical residence should house a national museum that would serve multiple purposes: present the nation’s history and cultural heritage in its broad European context, educate the public, provide a venue for state ceremonial events, and serve as a tourist center. Such a national museum was formally established on January 1, 2009.

Exhibitions

In order to carry out the cultural and educational mission of the new National Museum – Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, four tour routes related to the historical functions of the palace have been laid out. The first tour will acquaint the visitors with the very rich and important archeological findings – both the ancient ruins and the excavated artifacts. Employing models, iconographic materials from all over the world, and written labels, we will inform the visitors about the history of the palace and its architectural features. This exposition will be in the underground of the South Wing and in halls on the first and second floors of the South and East Wings. It will be a kind of archaeological and architectural preserve, where different kinds of communication media will be used to help contextualize and integrate those archaeological findings into a story of the historical development of the palace territory from the earliest times until its reconstruction today. Visitors will be able to use individual computer terminals to learn more about the history of Lithuania and its cultural heritage, about the Vilnius castles, about Lithuania’s rulers and magnates find biographical information about artists and other well-known cultural figures. This didactical exhibition will take up about a third of the museum’s exhibition space and will also recognize those who made significant contributions to the reconstruction of the palace.

The second tour will bring the visitors into the ceremonial halls, which have been reconstructed in such a way as to show the evolution of architectural styles – from the late Gothic to the Renaissance and the early Baroque. The goal is not only to show the evolution of architectural styles but also to describe the different functions that took place in each of the halls and rooms – guard rooms, antechambers, audience halls, chancellery offices, private apartments with private offices and bedrooms, and so forth – to show what life was like there. These halls and rooms are located on the second and third floors of the South, East, and West Wings. These halls and rooms will be decorated and furnished with authentic art objects from the 15th–17th centuries, of the type and style that could have been at the palace based on extensive research, as well as Lithuanian treasures. This particular tour will end in the hall representing the State and Grand Duke treasuries. This display of the interiors will consist of about 20 halls and will also take up about one-third of the museum’s space. These halls will also be used for cultural, musical, diplomatic, protocol, and other ceremonial events.

Both of these tours are meant to complement each other, giving the visitor a well-rounded view of the development of the palace, its role in Lithuanian history and culture as well as its political and artistic ties with the rest of Europe and Asia. Each of these tours will showcase different kinds of exhibits and will use different modes of presentation but together will form a duet. This is quite typical in many European castles and historical residences where time and the ravages of war have destroyed the original structures and their furnishings. The reconstructed buildings must compensate for that by serving more functions and telling a bigger story of the city, country, or state in which they are located. In this way, the mission of the National Museum – Palace of the Grand Dukes is similar to many others in Europe.

The other two routes are supplementary, special tours. The third tour is dedicated to the musical and everyday life of the palace. There will be a multipurpose hall for concerts, plays, exhibits, and educational programs. It will be a place for staging concerts and historical operas, for hosting conferences and seminars, and holding ceremonial events. It will be located in the northern part of the Northwest Wing. Historically, at least in the 17th century, this was where the palace kitchens were located. The fourth tour will lead visitors through the temporary exhibition center, which will meet international standards for traveling exhibitions. The major focus of the exhibits there will be European and Lithuanian material culture from the era of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In addition to traveling exhibitions, this will be a place for changing exhibitions – thematic, chronological or typological – from the Museum’s own large collection. This space will also be located in the Northwest Wing.

There will be place in the reconstructed palace for a tourist information center, a café-restaurant serving traditional national dishes and drinks, a bookstore specializing in the humanities, and a souvenir shop. The infrastructure for all of these and other visitor services will be located underground – under the Great Courtyard. Ticket booths, an information desk, coat-check room, an auditorium as well as toilets and other visitor amenities will also be located there. In this way we hope to maximize the amount of space for exhibitions and public programs. In addition, by locating the visitor terminal or vestibule under the Great Courtyard, we will be able to show some of the earliest ruins of the Vilnius Lower Castle walls. All of the four tour routes will begin and end there. In this way, the visitor will be able to plan his or her own visit to this historical residence and museum.

The collections of the National Museum – Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, which will be displayed in the thematic exhibitions mentioned above, are being formed based on exhibition needs, the different functions of the museum, and the availability of historical objects. The archaeology collections (about 300,000 objects) are truly impressive and make up the bulk of the Museum’s collections. Most were collected during 1987–2009 by the Castle Research Center Lietuvos pilys. One of the most important and impressive collections is the 15th–17th century collection of tiles, especially stove tiles, which in terms of numbers and variety has no equal in Europe. The numerous architectural details found during the excavation of the palace form the basis for the recreation of the exteriors and the interiors of the palace.

In order to provide furnishings for the interiors, the Lithuanian Art Museum began in 2003 to collect furniture, tapestries, paintings and other art objects from the Gothic, the Renaissance, and early Baroque periods as well as Lithuanian treasures. The acquisition of most of these valuable objects was financed by the national government or the Palace Restoration Fund. Some were acquired as gifts. Among the highlights are: the 15th–17th c. collection of Italian, French, and German furniture the 16th–17th c. collection of tapestries, including the unique tapestry with the coat of arms of Sigismund Augustus glass goblets that belonged to Augustus the Strong, the Elector of Saxony, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania and, a collection of rare books and maps related to Lithuanian history.

Some of the museum’s archaeological findings, furnishings, and other artwork have been on display since 2004–2005 in the Museum of Applied Art. They were also shown in traveling exhibitions in Germany (1992–1993) and Poland (2006–2007), where they were accompanied by catalogs or brochures.


National Museum Of Lithuania

Lithuanian National Museum is the oldest museum in the country which is located in buildings of the complex of Vilnius castles. Although it includes many subdivisions, the main 3 are the New Arsenal, the Old Arsenal and the Tower of Gediminas Castle. Thousands of people are passing by there every day and most of them do not even realize what curios and prehistoric relicts are kept in here.

L'histoire de Lithuanian National Museum started in 1855. Then an Antiquity museum was opened in Vilnius University by Lithuanian historian and collector graph Eustachijus Tiškevičius. Nowadays we can only imagine, what exhibits could have been exposed there as antiques more than 150 years ago! The museum then collected, preserved and exposed historical heritage of The Grand Duchy of Lithuania. However, after an uprising in 1863, Russians stopped the development of the museum and closed it for reconstruction.

The largest part of the most valuable exhibits was brought to Moscow. In 1965 the former Antiquity museum was opened as a public library. Only in 1918, one of the leaders of Lithuanian national liberation, Jonas Basanavičius on the ground of the former Antiquity museum started creating a museum of Lithuanian history and ethnography. This work was also interrupted by Poland occupants that took Vilnius city in 1920. Luckily, valuable collections were given to save for Vilnius University and according to these collections, in 1952 a famous culture historian Vincas Žilėnas formed a museum of History and Ethnography. In 1992 the museum was named as Lithuanian National Museum because the most important Lithuanian historical, archeological and ethnical relicts were brought there.

Nowadays more than 998 thousand various historical materials here are kept. In addition, the museum organizes annual meetings of researchers of history, what is more, annual archeological expeditions are arranged. There is a restoration center ( the museum have restored more than a half of all relicts saved in all Lithuanian history museums), a specialized library, an archive, a photo laboratory, specific Lithuanistic departments . It is obvious that besides its` large collection of historical exhibits, the Lithuanian National Museum also involves an entire complex of past investigation. The main purpose of the Lithuanian National Museum nowadays is to popularize and develop historical self-awareness. In order to implement the purpose, various activities and events are held there , moreover, special historical journals publishing the newest researches are printed.

Les Lithuanian National Museum has many subdivisions, but the main 3 are located really close to each other. In the New Arsenal there is the history of the Old Lithuania exposed (13th century - 1795). The Ethnic exposition involves Folk art and home comforts of Lithuanian rustics of the 18th-19th centuries. The exposition located in the Old Arsenal is proud to have one of the biggest archeological expositions in Europe called “Lithuanian prehistory”. There unique exhibits of Balts` culture reflecting Lithuanian culture from 11th century before our era until Lithuania formed as a country in the 13th century. The Tower of Gediminas Castle includes an impressive collection of armament of 14th-17th centuries , models of complex of Vilnius castles. There is also an observation square on the top of the Tower of Gediminas Castle where visitors can admire wonderful views of Vilnius panorama opening. By the way, on the base of Gediminas hill there is an elevator working every day 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM (5:00 PM). People can reach the top of the hill in a few minutes and also admire the views of Vilnius city through glass walls only for 2-3 litas.

Opening hours:
The New Arsenal : May 1 – September 30, Tue – Sat - 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Sun -10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
October 1 – April 30, Wen – Sun – 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
The Old Arsenal: May 1 – September 30, Tue – Sat - 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Sun -10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
October 1 – April 30, Wen – Sun – 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
The Tower of Gediminas Castle: May 1 – September 30 - every day 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
October 1 – April 30: Tue – Sun 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Entrance: 2-5 litas


Lithuanian heritage in Pennsylvanian Coal Region

The strongest presence of Lithuanian heritage is in the parts of eastern Pennsylvania known as the Coal Region. Coal, the oil of 19th century, was discovered there in the 1860s. People from poor European regions were recruited for hard and dangerous work (10 hours a day, 6 days a week, 25 ct wage per hour) living in the newly erected towns. Lithuania was at the time occupied and heavily persecuted by the Russian Empire, giving rise to emigrants known as "grynoriai" ("Free Air Men") for whom the conditions in Pennsylvanian mines were far better than persecution back in their agricultural homeland, where the Lithuanian language had been banned and serfdom abolished only recently (1861).

Memorial plaque for Little Lithuania in the Southern Coal Regi

The Coal Region ran out of coal but the towns remained, in many of them Lithuanian populations still in their hundreds. There are lavish Lithuanian churches built of the hard-earned money by the early settlers and large Lithuanian cemeteries with their typical massive tombstones. More than 40 churches were built there. However, Lithuanian mass is no longer celebrated and Lithuanian dedications (Our Lady of Šiluva, Our Lady of Vilnius, St. Casimir, St. George) are largely removed where they existed, especially during the church closure spree of

2008. After all, the Coal Region Lithuanian communities, unlike those in major cities, were not replenished by new immigrants and English language became dominant in the communities over some 4-5 generations. However, Lithuanian inscriptions, Lithuanian history-inspired church interiors and exteriors still remain where the churches are still used for religious purposes. It should be noted that Lithuanian church attendances were growing until at least 1980, contrary to regional trends.

'Shrine of Lithuanian history' in a Lithuanian-American church. From left to right: American, Lithuanian, and Vatican flags the Soviet Genocide painting the Mary painting in a folk-craft frame the TV tower painting the cross with images of those killed in January 13, 1991.

The Coal Region of Pennsylvania consists of two large areas.

Les Southern Coal Region is centered around Shenandoah, a town that used to be known as "Vilnius of America" in the early 20th century. The area is important not only to the Lithuanian-American history but to Lithuanian history as a whole: in Shenandoah, the world's first Lithuanian novel was printed ("Algimantas" by V. Pietaris in 1904 when Lithuanian language was still banned back home), Lithuanian miner orchestra and other cultural institutions, newspapers, existed. Shenandoah had Lithuanian mayors for 42 years and it has 6 Lithuanian cemeteries. In general, Southern Coal Region consists of many small crumbling ex-mining towns, each of them having some 500-5000 people and a regular grid of streets. 15 of those towns had Lithuanian churches (despite them being just a few kilometers from each other) and many had Lithuanian cemeteries and massive schools. Some still exist, some are destroyed or abandoned. Lithuanian Days, the oldest annual ethnic festival in the USA, takes place in the area since 1914. The 20 miles wide area surrounding Shenandoah hosts many Lithuanian villages. In Seltzer (pop. 307) Lithuanians make 27,46%, in New Philadelphia (pop. 1616) - 16,97%, in Cumbola (pop. 382) - 15,06%. Lithuanian populations surpass 9% in the area's towns of Minersville (pop. 4686), Mahanoy City (pop. 5725), Barnesville (pop. 2076), Frackville (pop. 8631). All these locations are in top 20 US locations by the share of Lithuanians. Among these 20 as much as 16 locations are in Pennsylvania, 15 in the Coal Region. Much of the area is with Schuylkill county which, with 5% of its population Lithuanian, is the most Lithuanian county in the USA.

1950s postcard of Shenandoah churches (Lithuanian St. George church on the right).

Les Northern Coal Region is much urbaner than the Southern Coal Region: essentially, it is one large conurbation of over half a million people, covering the cities of Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pittston and more. These cities each have 1%-4% of their population of Lithuanian ancestry (Pittston has the most with 4,15% Lithuanians, making it the largest share of Lithuanians in a US city of comparable size). There were 14 Lithuanian churches in the area, as well as numerous large cemeteries and impressive monuments. The Northern Coal Region Lithuanian buildings are generally bigger than the southern Coal Region ones, as they served larger urban communities rather than smaller rural ones. There are also 4 surviving-and-open Lithuanian clubs, each some 100 years old (however, these clubs, while celebrating their Lithuanian past, now tend to accept all patrons). The most unique Lithuanian site in the area is the Lithuanian national Catholic church that is independent of the Vatican. The area also has Lake Kasulaitis, which is a Lithuanian-named lake that is the furthest away from Lithuania.

A fire-hydrant colored in Lithuanian colors near the Pittston Lithuanian club

Kasulaitis is also among a minority of surnames among those of Lithuanian Pennsylvanians which are still written as they are written in Lithuania. By the time immigration to Pennsylvania took place, there was no standardized Lithuanian orthography yet and the immigration service transcribed the surnames using various orthographies, including English, Polish or created ad hoc they either added or removed word endings at will. Therefore in the Shenandoah Lithuanian cemetery, you may see surnames such as Bakszis and Bakszys (the modern Lithuanian spelling is Bakšys), Kutchinskas and Kutchinsky (modern Lithuanian: Kučinskas), Abrachinsky and Abraczinsai (modern Lithuanian: Abračinskas).

The grave of Publisher Bočkauskas family in Mahanoy City Lithuanian cemetery

All over the Coal Region, there are possibilities to descend into the mines Lithuanians worked at and visit museums that present authentic and quite sad life as it was.

A distant Lithuanian outpost away from everything else in Pennsylvania is another coal town of DuBois, that has Lithuanian church and cemetery.


Buy a Brick:Honor a Loved One

The engraved gold and silver ‘bricks’ or plates on the Balzekas Museum Honored Benefactor Wall and inscribed in the Bronze Benefactor Album recognize donors whose generosity has contributed to the Museum’s growth and ongoing success. Pay tribute to your own or a loved one’s name and Lithuanian heritage while supporting the Museum. Buy a Brick today!

FILL OUT THE BUY A BRICK FORM:

Add Your Voice to our Oral History Project!

In celebration of 150 years of Lithuanian immigration to the United States, the Balzekas Museum is launching an exciting new project entitled: “Lithuanian Life and Landmarks in America”. Collecting and preserving oral histories of Lithuanian immigrants and their descendants throughout the United States is integral to this project. These histories and the Museum’s archives will be used to develop both physical and online exhibits as well as interactive maps and tours documenting where and how Lithuanian Americans lived, worked, studied, prayed, and played.

To ensure the history and contributions of Lithuanian Americans are preserved for future generations, the Balzekas Museum invites Lithuanian immigrants and their descendants throughout the United States to fill out the following questionnaire:

The Balzekas Museum programs and operations are partially supported by grants from the Illinois Humanities, the Illinois Arts Council Agency, the Lithuanian Foundation, the City of Chicago, DCASE, Lithuanian Ministry of Culture, and Museum members and donors. The Balzekas Museum gratefully acknowledges these individuals and entities for their support.


The Lithuanian National Museum of Art, Lithuania

The Lithuanian National Museum of Art, a member of ICOM, has been a national museum since 1997. Having a public institution established in 1907marked the beginning of its history. The museum has valuable collections of fine art, applied arts and folk art as well as a rich library, an archive and a photo archive. Since 2009 it has been responsible for organizing and coordinating digitization activities at Lithuanian museums and functions an approved administrator and a recognized national training center. For this purpose, the special branch Lithuanian Museums’ Centre for Information, Digitization and LIMIS was established in 2009.

img. J. Bułhak | Didžioji Street – Vilnius (Lithuania), July 1944 © Lietuvos nacionalinis dailės muziejus / The Lithuanian National Museum of Art.


Remodeling and New Exhibits

The museum is currently renewing the building’s 120,000-square-foot west exhibition wing while the museum’s center core and east wing remain open. The west wing renovation plans add new galleries, an education center, interior public plazas and performance spaces as well as modernizing the infrastructure in this section of the building. A new panoramic window on the first floor offers a sweeping view of the Washington Monument and connect visitors to the National Mall’s landmarks. The wing’s first floor opened in July 2015, the second floor opened in June 2017, and the third floor is next to open.

Each floor now has a central theme: The first floor focuses on innovation, featuring exhibits that explore the history of American business and showcase “hot spots” of invention. Find education spaces like the Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention, The Patrick F. Taylor Foundation Object Project, the SC Johnson Conference Center and the Wallace H. Coulter Performance Stage and Plaza. The year-old second floor focuses on the theme "The Nation We Build Together." The central question of this gallery is “What kind of nation do we want to be?” The Greensboro Lunch Counter is one of the artifacts housed on this floor, along with exhibits about the history of citizen participation, democracy, immigration and migration. The third floor will highlight culture as an essential component of the American identity.


Some Lithuanians didn’t spend New Year’s Day recovering from the previous evening’s festivities and took to the streets to vandalize a street sign and the National Museum in an attempt to rehabilitate Lithuania’s leading World War II-era Nazi ideologue and activist Kazys Škirpa.

On January 1, 2020, vandals placed an adhesive sticker over the street sign for Vilnius’s small central Trispalvė (Tricolor) Alley proclaiming it K. Škirpa Alley, the name it had for a decade until the Vilnius city council changed it early last year in response to repeated requests over many years. The reason the street caused controversy was that Škirpa was the leading Lithuanian Nazi ideologue based in Berlin who created the Lithuanian Activist Front, notorious in the Holocaust in Lithuania, and its governing organ, the Lithuanian Provisional Government, with Škirpa appointing himself tin-pot dictator or “prime minister” of the pro-Nazi government in exile, the pro-Nazi underground in what was now Soviet Lithuania and the “prime minister” of a future semi-independent pro-Nazi Lithuania liberated by Nazi Germany and a belligerent fighting on the side of the Axis in World War II.

Škirpa’s proponents prefer to ignore all that messy stuff about World War II and the Holocaust and point instead to his one non-controversial action: on January 1, 1919, he and a group of Lithuanian volunteer soldiers hauled the newly-created Lithuanian flag, the tricolor, up Gediminas Hill, at the base of which the alley in question lies. It would be the moral equivalent of modern Germany erecting a sign proclaiming Alexanderplatz is now Adolf-Hitler-Platz to honor Adolf’s status as a German World War I veteran, never mind what came later. In fact the Vilnius city council in an act of very precedented obsequiousness did allow Škirpa’s apologists and would-be rehabilitators to post a plaque under the new street sign, Tricolor Alley, whitewashing Škirpa’s real biography in favor of his imaginary status as Lithuanian hero. A small group of picketers also held signs on January 1, 2020, reading: “Tauta savo didvyrius žino!” or, “The nation knows who its heroes are!”

Vilnius city administration director Povilas Poderskis told Baltic News Service the sticker was removed Thursday, January 2, and said the incident would be reported to police as an act of vandalism.

“The sticker has been removed, and we will contact the police because this is just an act of vandalism. At least from the administration’s point of view, this is wanton, and it is defined in several articles in the criminal code. This is in contempt of the decision made by the Vilnius city council and it’s the council who decided the names of streets, not just whoever wants to gets to decide,” Poderskis told BNS.

That same day, Thursday, January 2, the afternoon edition of the news program Reporteris on Lithuania’s Lrytas channel reported the city had contacted the police, and presented an interview with Antanas Kliunka who was called the chairman of the Šiauliai chapter of the Union of the Creators and Volunteers of the Lithuanian Military, dressed in full military uniform with medals and standing in front of Government House in central Vilnius. Kliunka said he and others would continue to vandalize the street sign, and he produced a rather large, rolled-up, professionally printed sticker from his pocket and unfurled it, revealing the inscription Škirpa Alley within the framework and to scale to the Tricolor Alley street sign, identical to the one the municipality had removed earlier that day.

Kliunka and his fellow apologists of Lithuanian fascism made good on that promise. According to the Lithuanian news website Delfi.lt, removed an identical sticker placed on the same sign on Friday, January 3, 2020. Delfi said the city municipality issued another complaint to law enforcement, and said the people behind both incidents had claimed on social media they placed the sticker there Thursday night. Delfi said the facebook page included photographs showing a portrait of Kazys Škirpa was also pasted on the wall of the National Museum and the Škirpa worshipers also left lit candles, flowers and a sign saying “There are many tricolors but only one Lithuania!” with miniature tricolor flags of different countries.

Rechristening Škirpa Alley Tricolor Alley took place in conjunction with the Vilnius municipality’s removal of another illegal Nazi shrine honoring Jonas Noreika, a granite plaque on the outer wall of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences in central Vilnius. Noreika was active in the Šiauliai, Plungė and Telšiai areas during the invasion and consolidation of Nazi power in Lithuania. He was a local commander of the Lithuanian Activist Front, the pro-Nazi organization Škirpa established in Berlin under Abwehr instruction to ease the Wehrmacht’s invasion of the western territories of the Soviet Union during Operation Barbarossa. Noreika, besides rounding up Jews, imprisoning them in ghettos he established and stealing their property including real estate, also, according to the most reliable source available, personally ordered the mass shooting of at least 1,000 Jews in Plungė. Following the removal of the plaque, modern-day Lithuanian Activists held a protest with signs accusing the Lithuanian Jewish Community of being a Kremlin front, and then simply erected their own new and improved Noreika plaque, as ugly as any Third Reich military monument ever to see the light of day, at the exact same location, in broad daylight, with no response from the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences or the city of Vilnius.

The latest organized campaign to vandalize street signs and the National Museum in favor of a pro-Nazi version of history came just days after Lithuania’s Orwellian Center for the Study of the Genocide and Resistance of Residents of Lithuania publicized their latest “finding” Noreika had actually been a Righteous Gentile who saved Jews and organized a network of Catholic priests to hide Jews from the ghetto, the ghetto Noreika most likely commanded. The new evidence: court testimony or deposition from a United States immigration trial in Chicago in 1986 from a single uncorroborated source who couldn’t remember dates, the names of any Jews supposedly rescued by the network he allegedly set up at Noreika’s request and who said Lithuanians never killed Jews in Lithuania.

In Grant Gochin’s ongoing series of complaints, trials and correspondence with and against this so-called Genocide Center, Center director Teresė Burauskaitė not only cast aspersions on historical research Gochin commissioned regarding the facts in Noreika’s case, but went so far to allege Gochin possibly violated Lithuania’s criminal code and even the Lithuanian constitution by conducting this research. She called two of his scholars dilettantes who lacked history methodology because they weren’t trained and qualified historians (one, Andrius Kulikauskas, is a philosophy professor at a Lithuanian university, and the other, Evaldas Balčūnas, a seasoned researcher and writer on Lithuanian war criminals who has butted heads with the Genocide Center numerous times).

The Genocide Center director appears to have contradicted her own claims regarding the discipline of history and who is allowed to practice it. The latest “finding” on Noreika was written by one of the Genocide Center’s PR specialists who holds no degree in history, but is a qualified geologist. Commenting on controversy surround her “Christmas Eve present” to Lithuanian Nazi apologists, Burauskaitė said in an interview on Lithuanian Public Radio and Television December 23: “I myself am not an historian so for me inner conviction is very important … I set for them the criterion: do you yourself believe in the results of your research?” (Lithuanian public radio and television, December 23, 2019). Apparently not just the director and PR specialist lack history credentials at the state-funded agency for determining the truth about history, which goes a long way towards explaining the shoddy material they’ve issued over the years as “research.”

And apparently you don’t have to dig very deep to discover the “Lithuanian Deep State” position of whitewashing the Holocaust is rather shallow, despite all the intellectual and fantastic trench warfare and fall-back positions. It turns out it’s paper thin, or at least, the thickness of a sticker, most likely printed using Lithuanian state resources.

There is a deeper problem here for the people involved in this modern-day “Lithuanian activism.” While the Genocide Center can’t really pursue Grant Gochin for thought crimes and violating the Lithuanian constitution, one thing the modern Lithuanian constitution currently in force does say is that the territorial integrity of the Republic of Lithuania cannot be questioned. That’s a problem for those seeking to rehabilitate Škirpa as some sort of national hero.

At 1:30 A.M. on March 23, 1939, Lithuanian foreign minister Juozas Urbšys and Lithuanian ambassador to Germany Kazys Škirpa acceded to Ribbentrop’s demand Lithuania turn Memel/Klaipėda over to Germany in time for Hitler to arrive there on the pocket battleship Deutschland in the afternoon of March 23. Urbšys and Škirpa annoyed their Nazi masters by refusing to sign over Klaipėda for some six to ten hours (they arrived at the Foreign Ministry in Berlin in the afternoon and had signed before 2:00 A.M. the next morning). Hitler was seasick. Urbšys and Škirpa came to his rescue and saved the day for Nazi Germany by capitulating on time, so the naval flotilla wasn’t forced to engage any token Lithuanian resistance. The entire Klaipėda region was handed over without any resistance. At the harbor in Klaipėda the local Memel Germans association turned out, their leader stood to the right of Hitler at the podium (to Hitler’s left), people gave the Nazi salute and proffered flowers to the Nazi invaders. The naval (Kriegsmarine) operation (three small battleships and three accompanying vessels) was concluded by a fly-over of Luftwaffe fighter planes.

Kazys Škirpa was instrumental in making this happen smoothly, so the sea-sick Hitler could land easily and on time, and in time for Kazys Škirpa and general Stasys Raštikis, former defense minister in independent Lithuania, to receive the ablative quo part of the proverbial quid pro quo, an invitation to Hitler’s 50th birthday party on April 20, 1939, which they both attended.

Holocaust negation and distortion is a crime under Lithuania’s criminal code, but while celebrating the person responsible for handing Lithuanian territory over to the enemy probably isn’t technically a crime in and of itself, directors of state institutions and seeming Lithuanian military officers standing in front of Government House doing so at the very least violates the spirit of the modern Lithuanian constitution.


The National Museum of Lithuania Releases Two Books on Postal History

The National Museum of Lithuania simultaneously releases two new books on postal history.

First book, “The Post in Lithuania Before 1918: Parcels, Postmarks and Postal Markings” describes the development of the postal system in Lithuania in the 18th–19th centuries, the period from the Third Partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1795) to the proclamation of the independent state of Lithuania in 1918. The second book, “The Post in Lithuania in 1918–1940: The Establishment and Activity of the Public Post, and the Issuing of Postage Stamps” focuses on the efforts to build an organised and efficient postal system of the Independent Lithuanian state, which successfully functioned in the general structure of the Universal Postal Union until the Soviet occupation in 1940.

The publications are the result of long-term cooperation between Julija Normantienė (National Museum of Lithuania) and the well-known collector Vygintas Bubnys.

A detailed presentation and review of the books will be published in the next issue of LPS Journal.

The official release of the books takes place in Vilnius at the National Museum of Lithuania (Arsenalo g. 1) on September 18, 2014. The books, priced at 160 LTL (ca. $60) for both, can be purchased at the admissions desk. Later these books will be sold at the museum store.

The event on Thursday also features two award-winning philatelic exhibits by Dr. Bubnys: “Lithuania: airmail to and from foreign countries” and “Lithuania 1918-1937.”

Bibliographical data:
Series: “Muziejus ir kolekcininkas”
Book (4): “Paštas Lietuvoje iki 1918 metų: siuntos, antspaudai, žymos”
Authors: Vygintas Bubnys and Julija Normantienė
Language: Lithuanian
Hardcover: 339 pages
ISBN: 978-609-8039-48-1
Publisher: Lietuvos Nacionalinis Muziejus
Year: 2014

Series: “Muziejus ir kolekcininkas”
Book (5): “Paštas Lietuvoje 1918–1940 metais: valstybės pašto kūrimas ir veikla, ženklų leidyba”
Authors: Vygintas Bubnys and Julija Normantienė
Language: Lithuanian
Hardcover: 582 pages
ISBN: 978-609-8039-50-4
Publisher: Lietuvos Nacionalinis Muziejus
Year: 2014

Shipping cost
The weight of both books is 4.224 kg (9.32 lbs). Shipping charges therefore will be substantial, depending on the destination:

UK – 101.24 LTL ($37.63)
France – 78.11 LTL ($29.03)
Germany – 84.97 LTL ($31.58)
Russia – 104.57 LTL ($38.87)
Australia – 255.98 LTL ($95.14)
Canada – 156.13 LTL ($58.03)
USA – 154.50 LTL ($57.42)


Voir la vidéo: Le Français Jean Nouvel a construit le Musée national du Qatar, regardez le résultat